Prohibited Uses of a Firearm
Understanding the Charges Against You
The inherent danger of firearms and the high number of injuries sustained
in accidental shootings commands strict laws regarding weapon use and
discharge. Prohibited uses of a firearm are, in general, those which are
deemed reckless or those which put public safety at risk.
If you are facing weapons charges for prohibited use of a firearm, the
Law Offices of Daniel A. Hochheiser is able to provide skilled legal representation,
informed and aggressive defense, and guidance throughout the entire legal process.
Contact our firm
gun crimes are charged as
Class D felonies if, in the commission of the crime, another person or other people were
endangered. They are charged as Class E felonies if no one was put into peril:
- Intentionally firing a weapon at a moving, stationary, or in-flight aircraft
- Intentionally firing a weapon at a railway or train
- Intentionally firing a weapon at a moving or stationary locomotive, car,
bus, or vehicle while on a railway, railroad, or public highway
The following crimes are charged as
Class A misdemeanors:
- Intentionally firing a weapon in a public place
- Intentionally firing a weapon in Putnam County
- Intentionally firing a weapon in an area in which it does or reasonably
could endanger another person
- Intentionally firing a weapon within a quarter mile of an occupied school building
- Intentionally aiming a firearm at another person without malice, regardless
of whether or not the action results in injury
- Hunting in a county which is entirely enclosed within city limits
What are my options after an arrest?
Our NYC criminal lawyers are aware of the myriad of consequences that a
criminal conviction will have on your life. Time in jail, large fines,
community service, probation, and a mark on your permanent criminal record
are just some of the penalties that a weapon violation can incur.
We strongly support and uphold our Second Amendment rights to gun ownership,
and represent clients who are at risk of losing their gun permits, their
freedom and their hard-earned wages.
Contact our firm today to learn more about how the Law Offices of Daniel A. Hochheiser can help.
We handle cases in communities throughout New York City, including Yonkers,
White Plains, New Rochelle, and more.